Happiness is a curious thing. It can be found in the darkest places and times, but be absent from situations that you'd most expect to find it in. Though there are all kinds of books and guides to help you towards happiness, it's still hard to define a specific and unfailing recipe for happy life. In my opinion, that's not even entirely possible because different people will always find happiness in different ways.
Whether or not a person is happy in their everyday life can depend on many things. There is of course their personality, which plays a big part on how they see the world, how they react to the hardships of the life, and how easily they are satisfied with what they have. There are uncontrollable things that affect their lives and the amount of happiness they feel, such as depression and other illnesses. Sometimes people can be in absolutely hopeless situation where they simply cannot see any light ahead. Everyday life can be hard. Happiness can be hard to find.
However, I think that there are some things that can make one's everyday existence happier. These are somethings that I've discovered help me maintain happiness in my everyday existence:
I try to recognize small blessings and be thankful for them. Every once in a while I remind myself to look around and see the things that are good in my life and let myself feel happy about them. I'm a firm believer that even on bad days there must be some perks somewhere, I just need to find them. I'm not trying to say that wanting to succeed in your life and dreaming of your own mansion with a huge pool is a bad thing, on the contrary I think being ambitious is a good thing! To be truly happy in life, you'll need to do some work, but in everyday existence I think finding happiness on small things is more important.
Every day, I try to do something that matters to me. So that at the end of the day, I can say that the time hasn't been wasted. This can also be very simple things, like calling someone I hold dear or making an effort to study extra hard. These things make me feel like my day has been more meaningful, and that there is some meaning in my life.
And finally, I try not be too hard on myself. I try to notice when I'm bringing myself down too harshly, stop that train of thought and think about something positive instead. I try to remember that I have people caring about me.
Like said, people find happiness in many different ways. These things that work for me may not work for you. So what I'd actually like to achieve here, is to make you think about what kind of things might make your everyday existence happier. This is only how I stay happy now, and how I'll hopefully stay happy in 2026 too.
-Sara
From Mathilde and Sarah :
ReplyDeleteHappiness is indeed a curious thing. On this point we have to agree.
In fact, we think that the purest and easiest way to reach happiness is to follow our dreams almost blindly. Like I often say, "passions are the lights of the soul", which means that without all the little things we love to do on a regular basis, our lives would be meaningless.
We begin to mope around when we realize we don't have a goal anymore. That's why we should always fight for what we believe in. Sure, you don't have to do extraordinary things to get your life perfect. Some can be really satisfied with little ! Just follow your own way and never feel ashamed of your hobbies or habits. These are the ones which really define who you are and can lead us to accept happiness in our lives. Have you ever felt a better emotion than the one you get when you finally do the things you really love to do ?
Cling to that feeling and try to illuminate your whole life everyday.